Kimchi Fried Rice – Spicy, sweet, craveable and so damn good
A fun little dish here. Perfect way to use up some left over rice. Spicy, savoury, funky. It hits all the notes and is super satisfying. Great dish to gobble down with a couple cold crispy beer!
- 2 cups left over rice
- 2 clove of garlic
- 1 red thai chilli
- ½ inch grated ginger
- 2 tbs gochujang (Korean red pepper paste.. A must have.. Go buy it right now)
- 2 tps of rice wine vinegar
- 3 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- ½ cup chopped kimchi
- 1 fresh egg
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- 3 basil leaves
- 1 tsp white sesame seeds
- 2 cups chopped up veg (whatever you got!)
- 3 strips of bacon diced.
- Dice bacon and add to pan over medium heat. Allow the fat to be rendered and remove bacon once crispy.
- While bacon is rendering, dice up onion, garlic, ginger.. and while you are at it might as well chop the kimchi and any veg you are wanting to use. Just have a look in the fridge and use what you have.
- In a bowl mix together the gochujang, rice wine vin, fish sauce, and soy. Stir until totally incorporated.
- Keeping pan on medium heat, add in the garlic, ginger, onion into the pan. We are looking to sweat the onions down, so avoid browning them. Once onions are translucent, add in the rice. Stir to incorporate. Turn heat to medium high.
- Once rice and aromatics are fully stirred, add in the veggies, kimchi, and crispy bacon. Stir together. Now pour in the sauces from the bowl. Continue stirring and keep heat high
- When I was in south east asia, one of my favorite things was when they would add a fried sunny side egg up on top of a dish. The egg would be added into a ripping hot pan that has a lot of veg oil in it. The egg would scream and bubble and burst, and get this amazing brown crispiness to it. So do that!
- Serve the rice in a funky bowl, top it with the fried sunny side egg, black sesame seeds and green onion. A cold beer wouldn't hurt with this either
Boom. Done. Now crack a light beer and enjoy this seriously addicting dish.
Subscribe to more content like this: