Four Layer Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Icing. The last chocolate cake recipe you will ever need
I love making layered cakes. They just shout ‘Celebration’! It’s fancy, but still approachable and makes you feel like a kid.
This four layer chocolate cake with peanut butter icing is no different. It’s the kind of cake you want to tuck into with a big glass of milk. Whether for a birthday, or just because you feel like celebrating, I guarantee you will love this one!
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup strong coffee
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Peanut butter icing:
- 1/2 cup butter, room temp
- 1 3/4 cups smooth peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cup icing sugar
- 2 tbsp cream
- Let's get kicking with the cake. First, I strongly suggest you take the time to get all the ingredients measured out and in front of you. Put away all of the ingredient packages. It saves time and keeps you organized. This step alone will save huge time on the clean up.
- Now, preheat oven to 350 and get 2 8-inch spring pans sprayed with cooking spray; line the bottoms with parchment.
- Next up, in a large bowl add the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking power, baking soda, salt and whisk together. Add in eggs, buttermilk, oil, vanilla and coffee. Mix on medium for 2 mins max. DON'T OVER MIX.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pans. If you want to be exact, use a scale to make sure each cake weighs the same, approximately 720 grams per pan.
- Place cakes in oven for 30-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean.
- Remove cakes from oven and place on a cooling rack; let cool completely in the pans.
- While the cakes are cooling, let's get started on the icing. In the bowl of a stand mixer add icing sugar, butter, peanut butter, salt, vanilla and cream. Beat on high for 2 mins or until light and fluffy. You can also use a hand mixer. Done!
- Cut the cakes in half horizontally with a bread knife. Take your time here. To build the cakes, start with the bottom of one of the cakes. Then layer on the icing. Repeat with the rest of the half cakes, leaving the bottom of the second cake to be used as the top of the whole cake. Ice the outside and top of the cake.
- Decorate! I have the whole process on how I decorate 4 layer cakes available on my instragram (@andyseastcoastkitchen_) Highlights! Look for chocolate peanut butter cake! Episode 55.
Subscribe to more content like this: