Bacon, Chive, Jalapeño Cheese Ball
We are going old school with this recipe. The holidays are fast approaching and for me, the Cheese Ball is one of the highlights of the festive party circuit. It’s the perfect thing to make for guests who are coming over, or it keeps really well in the fridge and freezer so it’s easy to make bunches and drop off to neighbors and friends.
As I put this recipe together, I really wanted to cram in as much flavour as possible. We’ve got bacon, green onions, pickled jalapenos, sesame seeds, capers, dill, and spices. The coating itself has a lot of the same ingredients that are inside the cheese ball, with the addition of chopped pecans to give even more crunch. I really hope you give this one a try this holiday season; a crowd pleaser and really, really easy to make!
Be sure to snap a pic of you and the gang enjoying your cheese ball and tag me on Instagram! (@andyseastcoastkitchen_)
Tips for Nailing this Recipe!
- Make sure the cream cheese is room temperature before starting. Incorporating all the ingredients together becomes really difficult if you are using cold cream cheese.
- Give the mixture time to cool. Place formed cheese balls in the fridge. You can leave overnight (or up to 5 days) before adding the coating. If you really want to plan ahead, you can form the balls and put them in the freezer uncoated for up to a month. Simply pull from the freezer the day before serving to allow to thaw, then roll in the coating mixture.
- Cheese Ball:
- 500 gm cream cheese (2 standard blocks)
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 3/4 cup diced green onions
- 3/4 cup crumbled bacon
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped pickled jalapeños
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 2 tbsp capers
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup diced green onions
- 1/2 cup crumbled bacon
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp fresh dill chopped
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans
- Let's do this! I love cheese balls; so exciting. First, place all the cheese ball ingredients into a large bowl (cream cheese, sour cream, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, green onions, bacon, shredded cheese, pickled jalapenos, dill, capers, salt, pepper). With a hand mixer, mix ingredients until smooth and fully combined.
- Next up, place plastic wrap flat down on the counter and scoop about 1 cup of the cheese mixture into the center of the plastic wrap. Wrap the cheese mixture totally and form into a ball shape with your hands. Place wrapped ball into the fridge for several hours or if in a rush, place in the freezer for 1 hour.
- While the ball is firming up, get the coating prepared. Place all the coating ingredients into a bowl and mix.
- Once the ball is firmed up, remove plastic wrap and place the cheese ball into the coating mixture. Press into the mixture and use your hands to help cover the whole ball. Treat it like a snowball.
- And that's really it! Serve on a plate with some Ritz crackers...or if you have any Bacon Dippers use those...remember them? Cheers!
Subscribe to more content like this: