Beer Battered Fish Burger with Quarantine Slaw
Today was a scorcher of a day here in Nova Scotia. We packed up the whole family and hit the beach. And there’s no better way to wrap up a great beach day than some fried fish!
This is a simple recipe that really hits the nostalgia notes for me. I like to use a light tasting beer like Alexander Keiths, as it won’t over take the flavour of the fish.
Very easy recipe and don’t be intimidated by the frying. Just take your time and use a thermometer.
- 4 large haddock fillets
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 "tall boy" can of light tasting beer
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced purple cabbage
- 1/4 cup thinly slice white onion
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced leek
- 2 tbsp mayo
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp freshly cracked pepper
- 4 brioche buns
- Let's get the slaw out of the way first. It's really quite easy; add listed ingredients into a bowl and toss in the mayo. Set aside until assembly.
- Preheat fryer to 365.
- Now batter time. In a bowl add in the flour, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and beaten egg. Whisk together. Next up, pour in a tall can of beer and whisk mixture together until smooth.
- Once oil has reached temp, dip fish fillet into batter mixture and let excess drip off. Gently lay the fish into the fryer and cook each side until golden brown, approximately 4 minutes per side.
- Remove from oil and let drain on cooling rack or paper towel.
- Go the extra mile and toast the buns and assemble the burgers. ENJOY!
Subscribe to more content like this: