Incredible Homemade Falafel
I love falafels. One of my favourite street foods anywhere in the world. They are actually fairly healthy too! Great to have in a wrap, a power bowl, or just by themselves. An amazing vessel of flavour!
This recipe uses canned chickpeas so it’s something you can make on a weeknight without to much planning involved.
- 2 cans of chickpeas, drained
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup chopped mint
- 1/4 cup white onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp corriander
- 2 tsp salt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg mixed with 1 tbsp milk
- 2 cups gluten-free panko
- 1 cup GF flour
- First things first, make sure to really drain your chickpeas, for at least 10 minutes. You don't want the mixture to be soggy.
- In a food processor, add in chickpeas, garlic, onion, parsley, mint, salt, olive oil, cumin, coriander, lemon juice and pulse together. You want the mixture to be crumbly but not a full puree. Depending on size of food processor, you might want to do this in two batches.
- Once mixture is smooth but crumbly, add in the flour and the baking powder. Pulse a few more times and then empty bowl of the food processor into another bowl.
- With an ice cream scoop or spoon, spoon out 3 tbsp of the mixture and form into a hockey puck shape. Place on a sheet pan and put in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
- While falafel is setting up in the fridge, prepare the breading station. Grab three bowls. In the first add in the gluten free flour, in the second whisk the egg and milk, and lastly the gluten free panko crumbs.
- After 20 minutes in the fridge, remove tray of falafels and get cracking on breading. Firstly cover each falafel with gluten free flour, next up egg mixture, and then panko. Be sure to give the panko a press to make sure the it's pushed into the dough.
- Time to cook them off. Heat a pan over medium high heat. Add in 1/2 cup of vegetable oil. Once oil is to temperature, lay in the falafels and let them brown on all sides, about 4-5 minutes per side. Once fried, let drain on paper towel. Season with salt and ENJOY!
Subscribe to more content like this: