The craving is real. Can’t go out but I still want Veggie Tempura…turns out it’s pretty easy to make!
After spending the day working in the yard, I had a craving for a cold beer and some nice vegetable tempura. Given that we are on quarantine there is no heading to our local sushi joint to grab some of these gold brown veg.. so I made them myself. Turns out they aren’t very tricky and such a great way to use up some of those sketchy veggies in your fridge! Give these a try and let me know what you think! Don’t be intimidated by deep frying. I will walk you through the process.
Deep frying. There is nothing to be scared of when a recipe asks to deep fry and ingredient. Here are a couple tips to make your life easier. Firsly, use a high smoke point oil like canola or vegetable oil. Secondly, take your time heating up the oil. Keep it on medium heat and use a thermometer to monitor the heat which you want around 350 degrees. Thirdly, don’t overcrowd the pot as it will cause the temperature of the oil to drop which will result in soggy batter.. which no one wants.
So now that we are feeling more comfortable with deep frying, give this recipe a try and be sure to share!
- 1 sweet potato sliced lengthwise
- 20 green beans
- half a crown of Cauliflower cut into florets
- Broccoli cut into florets
- Oyster mushrooms torn into large strips
- 2/3 cup of flour
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- Enough canola oil to fill up a dutch oven pot 1/4 of the way
- 1 cup ice water
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- Get cracking on the veg prep. Slice potatoes, portion cauliflower and broccoli, and tear apart mushrooms.
- Pour oil into pot and slowly bring temp to 350.
- Get two bowls. In bowl one mix together flour, corn starch, baking powder, and salt. In second bowl scramble one egg and pour in ice water. Now mix in dry ingredients with wet and mix until the batter is smooth.
- Once oil is ready, place prepped veg and batter prepped by the fryer. Take a vegetable portion, submerge into batter, and then lay into the oil. Fry until golden brown, approx 5 minutes. Once brown, takeout of the fryer and lay on cooling rack or let rest on paper towel. Season with salt.
- In small serving bowl mix together soy sauce and rice wine.
- Put all vegetables onto serving plate. Serve with dipping sauce. Enjoy!!!
Subscribe to more content like this: