Healthy Chocolate Espresso Banana Bread
I really love this recipe. This Healthy Chocolate Espresso Banana Bread is moist, rich, and decadent, while also being gluten-free, paleo, and actually pretty healthy for you. Made with almond flour, sweetened with ripe bananas and maple syrup, this is a guilt-free indulgence for you. A great weekend baking project that I really hope you enjoy!
Chocolate Espresso Banana Bread
Don’t be confused by the label of “bread”; this basically eats like chocolate cake. It really is super delicious and the kind of recipe you will want to make every week. So what goes into this recipe, you ask. Great question, let me tell you!
Ripe Bananas- Ideally you’re going to use super brown bananas as they are even sweeter. If you don’t have brown ripe bananas, no big deal, just squish up regular bananas and increase the moisture with the maple syrup and coffee.
Eggs- Always go for high quality eggs when possible.
Maple Syrup- As a Canadian, this goes without saying, but use the highest quality maple syrup you can get your hands on. You can absolutely taste the difference.
Vanilla- Avoid using artificial vanilla extract. If you can, get good quality vanilla.
Almond flour- In this recipe, I used blanched, extra fine almond flour to keep the recipe grain- and gluten-free.
Unsweetened Cocoa powder- This gives the loaf a rich chocolate flavor.
Coffee- Coffee helps bloom the cocoa. I had some leftover coffee from the morning that I used since you only need a small amount.
Baking soda- This makes sure the loaf rises. Make sure you are using fresh baking soda. If it’s been in your fridge for a couple of years, it’s likely time for a new box!
Salt- Can’t bake or cook without it!
Chocolate chips- Use whatever kind you like. Using dairy-free chocolate chips would make this recipe dairy-free.
- 3 1/2 ripe bananas, mashed. You are looking for about 1 1/4 cups
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp maple syurp
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp brewed coffee
- 2 1/2 cups packed almond flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips + 1/4 cup for sprinkling on top of the loaf
- Let's do this! Get started by preheating the oven to 350 and lining an 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 loaf pan with parchment paper. You are going to want to grease the ends of the pan to avoid sticking.
- Next up, in a large bowl mix together the mashed ripe bananas, eggs, vanilla, maple syrup, coffee. Mix well.
- Next, add in the almond flour, baking soda, salt, cocoa, and chocolate chips. Mix until well incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and place in the oven for 50-60 minutes. Remove from oven when you can poke the center of the load with a tester stick and it comes out clean.
- Let the loaf cool for 10 minutes in the pan, and then for another 10-20 minutes on a cooling rack.
- Slice and enjoy. To store the loaf, place it in a plastic bag and leave it on the counter.
Subscribe to more content like this: